Jason Dells Quesadilla
- Preparation Time: 20 mins
- Serves: 4
- Cooking Time: 25 mins
- Ready Time: 45 mins
- Difficulty: Easy
Ingredients for 1 quesadilla:
2 large soft flour tortillas
2 tbsp favourite tomato relish (pesto is great too!)
2 tbsp onion chopped small, cooked
¼ cup spinach leaves, roughly chopped/torn
¼ cup cheddar cheese (smoked cheddar cheese is even better!)
6 fresh basil or fresh coriander leaves, chopped/torn
Quesadilla is a toasted flour tortilla with melted cheese inside.
In addition to cheese, you can put practically anything in a quesadilla. This recipe makes a great lunchtime snack, you can make them
on a flat bbq plate quite easily too!
They are really yummy stuffed with things like mushrooms, olives, sun dried tomatoes, peppers and cooked meat strips.
- Sear the lamb quickly in a hot pan on all sides. Remove and roast in a medium oven for about 5 minutes. (A little longer if you like the lamb medium). Remove from the oven and leave the lamb to rest in a warm place before slicing.
- Heat a skillet/frying pan. Brush one side of each tortilla with light vegetable oil. When skillet is heated, lay one of the tortillas into the skillet, oiled side down.
- Spread the tomato relish/pesto over the tortilla, then arrange the cooked and sliced lamb over the tortilla, followed by the spinach and the cheddar cheese and lastly the fresh basil/coriander. Cover with the other tortilla—oiled side up.
- Cook until the tortilla is nicely browned, then flip carefully to colour the other side. Cheese should be nicely melted after about 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a chopping board and cut into wedges for serving.
Accompany with the lettuce, avocado and corn salsa on top of the tortilla and eat with a knife and fork. Or if you want to, simply pick it all up with your hands and munch out. Note: You can also fold the tortilla into a half moon shape for smaller servings and serve the salad on the side.
½ carrot, grated
1 cup iceberg lettuce, shredded
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp sour cream
salt and pepper
Mix the carrot and iceberg lettuce together. Lightly dress with a squeeze of lemon juice and olive oil. Use a fork to mash the avocado with another squeeze of lemon juice and mix in the sour cream.
Corn and Red Capsicum salsa
2 tbsp red onion, chopped small
½ tsp green/red chilli minced
¼ cup fresh corn kernels (or substitute with frozen kernels)
¼ cup red capsicum chopped in small dice
1 fresh tomato, deseeded, diced small
2 tbsp light vegetable/olive oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
1 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
Place the onion, chilli and corn kernels in a small saucepan/frying pan. Cook over a gentle heat until the sweetcorn is no longer crunchy. Cool and then place this mix into a clean bowl. Add all the remaining ingredients together, adjust seasoning to taste.
NB: You can add all sorts of other things like diced pineapple and chopped cashew nuts to the salsa if you like to be adventurous!
Recipe Jason Dell